[PD] Gem: can't load library

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Dec 4 17:03:39 CET 2006

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> a debian-package is a .deb file which holds the content of the tgz PLUS
> some meta information (like dependencies!).

Not to sound picky, but it holds a list of the names of the depended
packages, and not the depended packages themselves. It may sound dumb, but
to someone who doesn't know package managers, it might not be obvious.

> you manually install it via dpkg.

That's sooo much a 21st century conception of "manual".

When I was born, "manual" was all about punching holes in cardboard and
feeding it to the card-reader. However, when I actually started
programming, "manual" was about having to press Play at the same time and
listen to the sound of files recorded at 600 bauds, and pressing
Fast-Forward to skip over them, and having to listen to the files to count
how many had been skipped over and reading the sleeve to make sure I got
to the right file. It was not as manual as splicing tapes though.

I mean, one should marvel at how much something like dpkg is automatic :)