[PD] diff between graph and array?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Dec 5 13:05:37 CET 2006

derek holzer wrote:
> Writing docs sure makes you question the simple things again! Like this:
>
> Why is there both "graph" and "array" in the Put menu? Seems like the
> "graph" option is kind of a crippled "array" insofar as it doesn't
> actually even have a name to address it. At least *I* never use it when
> I need to put an array/table somewhere, but maybe somebody has a clever
> use for it. Is "graph" some sort of evolutionary holdover, or does it
> have a distinct purpose? Miller's manual doesn't go into details here.

http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2006-10/043013.html

in short: a graph is a graphical container that can hold several arrays.
an array needs a graph to be displayed (read: whenever you create an
array from the menu, you will be asked whether you want to put it into a
newly created graph or into an existing graph; you cannot choose to not
put it into any graph).

putting several arrays into one graph allows you to display data in an
"aligned" way.

mfg.ards
IOhannes