[PD] overcome nqpoly4 limitations

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Dec 10 02:49:39 CET 2006

Hallo,
Cesare Marilungo hat gesagt: // Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >This is possible. The additive synth bell example I posted shows one
> >way how to address each instance seperatly. You get the voice number
> >as first argument so you can do various things with it inside the
> >poly-abstraction.
> >
> >Another example is attached, which is more traditional and is built
> >around [poly]. Both approaches don't use the voice allocation of
> >nqpoly4 at all: Nobody forces you to use it, and I generally don't use
> >it anyways.
>
> I missed that. But the attached patch does what I was trying to do.
>
> Cool!

Actually you've made me think that it would be a good idea to have an
inlet in nqpoly4 for data as produced by the [poly] object. Then one
wouldn't need to make the send/receive pair by hand. Currently nqpoly4
implements one voice allocation algorithm which is a bit limited and
only really useful for granular synthesis, but not so useful for
Midi-inspired polyphony, where the note length isn't known in advance.

I think, a successor of nqpoly4 should not care about voice allocation
at all by itself.

Ciao