polypoly [was: Re: [PD] overcome nqpoly4 limitations]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Dec 10 14:08:49 CET 2006

Hallo,
Cesare Marilungo hat gesagt: // Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> >I think, a successor of nqpoly4 should not care about voice allocation
> >at all by itself.
> >
> In fact I was trying to the same thing using nqpoly4 voice allocation,
> but I wasn't thinking that there's no gain in using it for this kind of
> purpose. In fact the abstraction are all instantiated when the nqpoly4
> object is created and the bang to the abstraction outlet only tells
> nqpoly4 which voice has been freed.

Maybe you like the little variation of nqpoly4 that I made and
attached. I called it [polypoly] and it's a kind of mix between
[nqpoly4] and [poly] intended to simplify traditional "midi"-like
polyphony in Pd.

You use it almost like [poly], but additionally you pass the name of
an abstraction. From then on it does everything for you: it creates
the abstractions, connect in- and outlets, where the outlets are
signal outlets now.

The abstraction to "polyphonize" just needs one inlet for (note
velocity)-pairs, one inlet for loadbang, and two signal outlet~s for
left and right audio channel.

Ciao