[PD] nightly builds on intel mac

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Dec 12 07:08:20 CET 2006

Ok, my guess is that it's a bug in the Apple-included Tcl/Tk.
Everything works fine on PowerPc.  So I am trying ActiveTcl 8.4.14,
which is a universal binary.

Give the 2006-12-12 build a shot and see what happens.  (hopefully it
builds sucessfully tonight).

.hc

On Dec 7, 2006, at 3:50 PM, Steffen wrote:

> On 07/12/2006, at 1.51, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> Try again tomorrow (2006-12-07).
>
> It seams the same. Fx. it doesn't open patches, neither from the
> help-browser (that does open) or the file browser (that also does
> open). There come no output when clicking the DIO button. It eats
> +/-55% cpu time, normally Pd eats 10-15 % if it doesn't do anything.
>
> Attached is the output i get when launching the nightly builds from
> Terminal with Verbose enabled and -stderr as the startup flag -
> both set via the prefs panel.  By ignoring the "verbose" output it
> boils down to:  "audio I/O stuck... closing audio".
>
> That leads me to a question/observation. It seam that the
> "debugging" method of starting Pd form Terminal with the -stderr
> flag does not help and does not give the same output as if the -
> stderr flag is set via the prefs panel.
>
> When -stderr is not set in the pref panel, 'Pd -stderr' and 'Pd'
> executed from Terminal result in the same output, which is sent to
> the Terminal window.
> When -stderr is set in the pref panel, 'Pd -stderr' and 'Pd'
> executed from Terminal also result in the same output, which is
> sent to the Pd window.
>
> Not only is the output sent to different places it is also not the
> same. And the info of the one is a subset of the other, which is
> when -stderr was set in the prefs panel. Hence my conclusion is
> that, If the -stderr flag are to be of any use, it is to be set via
> the pref panel?
>
> I have two more "observations". The fist being that when one shut
> this nightly build, it doesn't shut completely. When launched there
> are two processes 'Pd-0.39.2-extended-2006-12-07' and 'pd'. When
> closed only the Pd-0.39.2-extended-2006-12-07 gets shot, while the
> other is very much alive (and eating cpu all it can).
>
> The other observation is that the this intel build bundle has intel
> build external (zexy/sum.pd_darwin are fx intel build (only)) while
> fx. Pd-0.39.2-extended-2006-12-07.app/Contents/MacOS/Pd-0.39.2-
> extended-2006-12-07 is a socalled universal binary build. Further
> more, the ppc counterpart has ppc build externals (again, fx. zexy/
> sum.pd_darwin) and ppc build (not universal build) Pd-0.39.2-
> extended-2006-12-07 binary.
>

> <nb-1206-startuptranscript.txt>
> <nb-1207-startuptranscript.txt>

Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war
on terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom