[PD] [*] vs [*~]

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Dec 27 22:46:10 CET 2006

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, Tim Blechmann wrote:
> Matju wrote:
>> why is it that [*] is only for floats, whereas if you want to multiply two
>> signals one has to use [*~] ?
> why do patch cords have different width?

Because Miller added that in 0.35 or 0.36 or some other release. But more
deeply: because it reflects the nature of the implementation of pd or of
its limitations. If it wanted to make more distinctions, it could have
separated the patchcord types by message types and add several kind of
zigzags, stipples, colours, etc. For example, in this diagram,

   http://www.videogamecritic.net/images/coleco/jumpman_junior.gif

There are short zigzag cords vs long zigzag cords, and those inform the
user about what those cords are for. (The red vs green distinction is
optional, so that the visual appearance of the diagram communicates the
same information if a two-tone display is used.)

> why is there no |!/~| object like in max/msp?

I don't know. Where's the [swap] that can support signals? ;)

> and why is expr~ so slow?

I don't know, this might deserve a look (or a rewrite).

> why are the inlets of |pow~| reversed?

Because it was supposed to be called [!pow~] instead?

> I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion
>  Jack Kerouac

I'd rather have your confusion, than the certainty that some people
offer...