[PD] Objects don't loadbang when created with internal messaging

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Dec 30 15:05:47 CET 2006

Hallo,
Luke Iannini (pd) hat gesagt: // Luke Iannini (pd) wrote:

> Sure, I can do this... but I'm trying to determine why the loadbang
> would not occur when created with internal messaging?

This has been discussed in the past, although in the distant past like
2002 for example:
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2002-07/007352.html

Not loadbanging dynamically created abstractions is a design decision.
It is intentional.

The main reason for it is that abstractions may generate output at
their outlets as a result of a loadbang inside. Normally abstractions
do the loadbang *before* the parent patch does its own loadbangs. So a
loadbang in an abstraction may change the parent's patch behaviour,
through an outlet or through a sender/receiver.

However with dynamically created abstraction instances, the time, when
the outlet is connected to something will be after the abstraction was
created dynamically so it's loadbang-output would be sent into
nirvana, whereas when loading from a file or when recreating a
previously created abstraction manually, the connections are already
there, when the loadbang inside the abstraction fires.

To avoid ambiguities it was decided, that loadbangs in dynamically
created abstractions need to be activated manually e.g. with the
"loadbang" message to the parent (sub)patch.

Ciao