[PD] GEM pix_film/movie issues

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Feb 12 08:58:36 CET 2007

Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> Hi.
> I'm trying to set up Csound and PD together to score an animation.
> When I have Csound send the frame numbers explicitly, the picture
> bleeds all over itself, like some pixels not refreshing regularly or

this sounds like a codec problem: with inter-frame compression this can
happen sometimes.

> something.  I notice, though, that I can send a frame number while
> 'auto 1' is enabled and it jumps to that spot and keeps playing.  I
> think this will suit my purposes, but I'm wondering if PD always gets
> the fps exactly right under auto.  Obviously it wouldn't do to have me

Gem definitely ignores the fps of the movie it loads in auto mode (at
least on non-QuickTime (apple & m$) containers).
it just uses Gem's internal fps and advances to the "next" frame in the
movie.
i think you can consider this as a bug.

> give the animators a soundfile that doesn't line up exactly on their
> machines.
> Is there any way for GEM to read fps from a file header, so it can
> tell Csound in order to calculate starting points when I want to go
> over certain sections?

the 2nd outlet of [pix_film]/[pix_movie] gives you a list:

mfg.asdr
IOhannes