[PD] small set of vector transforming abstractions

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Mar 1 13:58:55 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 10:10 +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > hi all
> >
> > during my trials with gem i made a little set of abstractions, that
> > hopefully could be usefull when dealing with vectors. at least they have
> > been for me.
> >
> > the set contains:
> >
> > [v_+]           : adds two vectors
> > [v_-]           : subtracts a vector from another
> > [v_scale]       : scales a vector
>
> funnily enough theses have been part of Gem for a long time.
> they have been made abstractions and moved to markEx (along with other
> objects that are not directly related to Gem)
>
> > [v_mag]         : outputs the magnitude of a vector
> > [v_normalize]   : normalizes a vector (so that its magnitude becomes 1)
> > [v_x]           : computes the cross product of two vectors
> > [v_rotate]      : rotates a vector around another
> >
> > let me know if you miss something or if you find it not useable at all.
>
> why don't you just make them part of the frank's list-abstractions?

i don't think that these should get part of list-abs, though they share
some functionality. the list-abs are so cool, because they work with any
list with any length. the aim of the v_abs is really only dealing with
vectors (list of 3 floatatoms) and they are a bit faster because of
that. when passing 1000 vectors each gem render cycle, this could make a
difference, i think.

roman