[PD] Is asynchronous but fast loading possible?

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Wed Mar 7 11:35:45 CET 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 17:18 -0600, David Powers wrote:
> Hmm, what would it take to change/fix this? This is part of the reason
> I can only use PD in the studio, and not live... Sounds like there is
> a need for some kind of better cross-platform soundfile player
> external. This might be PD's biggest weakness for audio use!

you can search the archive for the technical problems ... i've posted
them several times ...

but imho, the problems are less technical. it would require the pd
developers to distinguish between a "solution", a "workaround" and a
"bad hack". my sndfiler is just a "bad hack". however if "bad hacks" or
"workarounds" are praised as a "solution" there will never be real
solutions!

personally, i only use the sndfiler, because it uses libsndfile and thus
supports more file formats. it's not clickfree with my performance
patch, as the used pd api is not scalable ...

luckily, there will be other options soon (http://tim.klingt.org/pnpd)

cheers ... tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://tim.klingt.org

Most of the trouble in this world has been caused by folks who can't
mind their own business, because they have no business of their own to
mind, any more than a smallpox virus has.
  William S. Burroughs