[PD] dynamic proximity responce

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 20:46:47 CET 2007

On 3/7/07, nosehair911 at bellsouth.net <nosehair911 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I'm very new to PD so this may be a simple question.  Is there any way to have multiple objects interact
> with each others patching depending on how close they are to each other.  In simple terms.
> Basically have 1 gemobject be attached to a loadbang and a 2nd gemobject be attached to a metro and
> as object 1 gets a certain distance from object 2 the loadbangs outlet attaches to the metros inlet. I have
> been driving myself crazy trying to figure this out in PD. I think it might have something to do with pmpd
> but I cant figure it out.
> Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Well, first of all, I don't know the answer to your question, but what
is it you are trying to achieve? I'm 99.9% that there is a better way
to achieve what you want, without attaching the objects dynamically.

Second, attaching a [loadbang] to a [metro] won't do anything. A
loadbang only bangs when you load up the patch, but in your case, the
patch is already loaded, so nothing is going to happen. Probably what
you really want to do is something different.

Third, to find out how close to objects are, you simply need to make
an abstraction to measure the 3d distance between two points. Gem
objects won't tell you their position, but that doesn't matter because
you should already have their position, since somewhere in your patch
something is sending coordinates into the Gem objects, telling them to
move! Otherwise they would just be in the center of the screeen...

Maybe that helps a little?! Give us more info and we can probably help more.

~David