[PD] kit model

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 14:24:59 CET 2007

I had a mess about with modelling drums using delay based laminas
with feedback and fm to make non linarity. I was inspired by some Eduardo
Miranda and Perry Cook work. It's pretty rough, and basically
it doesn't really work so well because I found the scalings hard to
set up, getting the parameters is fiddly. All the same I thought it
worth posting because someone might want to play with it improve it.
Changing to lower blocksizes might give a smoother sound for the snare
, the controls could be scaled better and the kickdrum needs a phase
reset and envelope zero to stop occasional clicks. And plenty more
could be done with note velocity parameters.

Anyway there's a snare drum that has a separate snare and skin and two
exitor sources, a displacement impulse and a rattle from the snare
coil. Theres a kick drum that has a beater and skin. For both you
can set the pitch (tightness), and diameter, but I left all 3 delay
parameters accessible to mess with. Snare skin model has self-feedback.
The kick drum there is FM with self feebcak which gives the effect of
a loose skin which tightens with the displacement impulse if you
get the settings just right. Finally there is an FM hi-hat, which
is a bit shit but I am still scratching my head over how to build
a model of two cymbals that can rattle against one another, some
way to express a symmetrical coupling. Attached is the kit to listen to.
And there's a few new sound effects generators here too
http://www.obiwannabe.co.uk/html/news/news.html
The machine-o-matic (with deluxe quadruple action) is a
good laugh if you like making weird machine sounds.

best,

Andy