[PD] puredatabase

robbert van hulzen robbert at performers.net
Thu Mar 8 12:15:44 CET 2007

No, I didn't forget... But the discussion (eg Pluggo4PD) is getting to a
point where I think "wow, interesting!" rather than "I can help here."

Here's a few thoughts anyway. More to show what goes on in the mind of
someone who's just getting into the construction of the telescope after a
bit of star gazing.

All this (incl below) said, I'd still love to help out in some way, by eg
cleaning up / clarifying help patches, eg with some help from the developer.

When first starting to use pd, I attempted to make a manual for myself,
starting out with listing all the objects (internals, then) with
descriptions. When getting deeper into pd, I abandoned that idea because I
preferred to spend my time on learning by doing. Still, a readable list of
what-does-what would be welcome, and would have been then.

As a sidenote: a glossary of computer related terms would also have been
helpful. By now i know what a subroutine is, but a year ago the first
sentence of the template1-about.pd (at
http://puredata.org/dev/pddp/template1-about.pd/view) would've already
puzzled me, just like the term "metadata" does now. I can guess what it
means, I can find some info, there's a wiki, but I think when you just get
into pd there's a lot to deal with, so you don't necessarily want to get
into even more. Mind you: I'm not saying everybody should be able to use pd
with no effort. Of course this is an app you must want to use and be willing
to dive into, I just mean that sometimes knowledge is taken for granted that
not necessarily everyone jumping into pd has.
Maybe this is not pd's responsability, I'm just mentioning what was / is
troublesome for me.