[PD] Percolate

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 00:27:36 CET 2007

On 3/8/07, Thomas Grill <gr at grrrr.org> wrote:

> Am 09.03.2007 um 00:03 schrieb Tim Blechmann:

> > although i don't really like this clause, the following description is
> > quite clear:
> > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLPluginsInNF
>
> I knew about this one, but i don't think that this is applicable if
> there is no actual distribution of the non-GPLd program with GPLd
> plugins.
> I might be wrong, though. Anyway, i don't care much - if the GPL is
> odd enough to violate against such usage i would consider a different
> license. Idealism gone.

Not to mention, that the GPL has never been rigorously tested in a
court of law. At least in the United States, such matters are in
something of a legal limbo, until the courts set precedents.

Interestingly, this identical issue came up on the ChucK list today.
There is a [chuck~] external for max/msp, which it turns out probably
violates the GPL.

Anyway, I'm all for the pragmatic approach as Thomas Grill has just
expressed ... (Just like, if I decide I want to sample a Prince song
tomorrow night, I'm going to do it, copyright laws be damned...!)

~David