[PD] Percolate

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Mar 9 08:02:06 CET 2007

Hallo,
Thomas Grill hat gesagt: // Thomas Grill wrote:

> Am 09.03.2007 um 00:03 schrieb Tim Blechmann:
>
> >although i don't really like this clause, the following description is
> >quite clear:
> >http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLPluginsInNF
>
> I knew about this one, but i don't think that this is applicable if
> there is no actual distribution of the non-GPLd program with GPLd
> plugins.

You could always "resolve that legal problem by adding an exception
to your plug-in's license, giving permission to link it with the
non-free main program." [1]

I always assumed, that flext had such a clause, as obviously it is
intended to be used with the non-free Max/MSP as well.

> I might be wrong, though. Anyway, i don't care much - if the GPL is
> odd enough to violate against such usage i would consider a different
> license. Idealism gone.

Why is it odd, that the GPL does not permit linking GPL-binaries with
closed-source programs as default? I think, it was one of the
motivations of Stallman to make a clear cut between non-free and free
software, because his original goal was to develop "a sufficient body
of free software so that I will be able to get along without any
software that is not free." [1] (If all that is a good idea, is
another discussion, of course.)

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLPluginsInNF
[2] http://www.gnu.org/gnu/initial-announcement.html

Ciao