[PD] Percolate

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Mar 9 09:04:36 CET 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> will be major differences between the anglo-american and the european
>> way. (and other ways too, but about these i know even less)
>
> I think that they are not as big as you'd guess because there are
> international treaties that are all about making these laws work in
> the same ways across borders.  Copyright, patents, and trademarks act
> quite similarly in all countries that participate in these treaties
> (which is most).

not quite true.
(i'd say it is an anglo-centristic viewpoint ;-))
after all, in anglo-american space we have to deal with "copyright"
whereas in continental europe we still have the "urheberrecht" which is
something really different.

>> things are certainly better in CreativeCommons (among other things
>> because they are less u.s.-centric than the FSF).
>
> Hmm, that's debatable.  They don't have a license without an
> attribution clause, it's not even an option. And the CC attribution
> clause is much worse than the BSD attribution clause ever was.

yes i agree here.
i was just trying to say that the creative commons is much more
"court-proof" in different countries since it has been adapted to really
fit within the legislature of these.

the GPL never had anything but the u.s.-american copyright law in mind,
which makes it not necesserarily fit for other countries.
i do not say that the GPL is bad or futile in europe, it is the license
i use...

mfg.asdr
IOhannes