[PD] apt get for abstractions

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Mar 12 17:55:26 CET 2007

hello everyone

yes, netpd has a built-in system to keep netpd-patches updated. each
patch and each abstraction is tagged with a message-box anywhere in the
patch containing [version X.X.X(. each netpd-patch or -abstraction also
can have a subpatch called [pd abslist]. the names of the used
abstractions can be stored in message-boxes, e.g. [myabs1(, [myabs2(,
within that subpatch in order to link the abstraction with the parent
patch.
when a new user joins a session, the local creator sends a request to
another one. the remote creator responds with a list of all opened
patches, their used abstractions and the version of each patch/abs. the
local creator compares all version numbers with the versions of the
locally stored patches/abs and then sends a download-request to the
remote creator, if needed.

this system could easily be ported, so that it would work outside of
netpd. the netpd-versioning system lacks the ability to search
directories recursively for abstractions and also to create directories
and to save abstractions in arbitrary locations. i think these
capabilities would be needed for a reasonably working versioning system.
they might be implemented by using externals like [getdir] and others,
which are not used by netpd yet.

i'd rather would not want to implement a complete system myself, but i'd
like to help someone who wants to do so.

if it would be sufficient to store the main-patches in one and all the
abstractions in another directory, one could setup a fully working
system on a server using mostly existing code. the server would run a
netpd-server and a creator, that handles and responds to the requests.
the client could be a _chat.pd and _creator.pd stripped down and merged
together. the user could just type the name of the patch into the
client's interface and the patch would be downloaded with all
abstractions that are used by it.

let me know, if the 'small' system described above is already of
interest. maybe it would be the best, if i would do the basic steps and
then someone else could work on top of it.

roman