[PD] oldschool rave synths

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Mar 15 21:26:15 CET 2007

Hallo,
padawan12 hat gesagt: // padawan12 wrote:

> Another area of wisdom to explore is physics. I like to start sound
> design lectures by explaining that sound is a branch of dynamics,
> particularly fluid dynamics. Physics really helps design realistic
> sound effects, to know about propagation, interference, reflection,
> damping, stress, elasticity and all that. Then you can make ballpark
> models of what sound waves are doing in an object of given materials
> and dimensions.

An interesting book in this area is Perry R. Cook's "Real Sound
Synthesis for Interactive Applications". (Cook is the main author of
STK). I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner, though, and sometimes it
doesn't go into enough detail for my taste, but there's always the JO
Smith's website for the formulas.

Ciao