[PD] a small utility: dispatcher.pd

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Mar 18 20:39:02 CET 2007

Hallo,
Steffen hat gesagt: // Steffen wrote:

> On 18/03/2007, at 13.16, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> >[dispatcher] makes building those long [route method1 method2 method3]
> >chains behind abstraction inlets a bit easier and also works around
> >the problem of adding methods later on without breaking existing
> >connections.
>
> Very neat.
>
> It seams that [dispatcher $0 list] is in the same usefulness class as
> [dispatcher $0 symbol]?

Yes, right, dispatcher on "list" doesn't do anything useful as well,
I'll add it to the help-patch later. For convenience the list-selector
is [list trim]'d before it reaches the internal [route]. So your
method inlet should not expect proper list messages.

> Not that I think it matters much, given the
> scope of said abstraction. And parallel connections gives funky
> "help" message - but, again, given the scope, that got to be a fairly
> dodgy use case.

yep, they are intended to be used in series after an inlet like:

 [inlet]

 [dispatcher $0 s0]

 [dispatcher $0 s1]

 [dispatcher $0 s2]

 [dispatcher $0 s3]

 [dispatcher $0 s4]

 [dispatcher $0 s5]

etc. Then if you need another dispatcher because you've invented a new
method to your abstraction, just add another [dispatcher $0 new] below
the existing ones and use [r $0-new] wherever needed.

Ciao