[PD] pix_draw flipped

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 23:53:58 CET 2007

On 3/21/07, marius schebella <marius.schebella at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using python, but I am not an expert. I think GEM is faster for
> image operations, since it is hardwarebased or at least c code.
> and also I don't want to change my images at all, just display them
> correctly.
> the pix_info works great at the moment. I still will have a look at the
> possibilities with PIL.
> marius.

I think (please step in Gem developers) that the hardware acceleration
only applies to 3d and not pix operations, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway
I don't have hardware acceleration so I don't really know what kind of
difference this would make. As I mentioned, I was doing PIL to assist
in a Flash site and only afterwards realized it would also help with
certain GEM tasks I might need to do.

[pix_info] is probably better suited for your task at the moment, but
if you ever need to actually convert / re-render stuff, PIL is great.
For instance, I think some [pix] objects require that images be the
same size and color space, and it would be trivial to check and
convert an entire directory of jpg images. Python might not be as fast
to run as C, but for me that's made up for by how quick it is to
develop in Python--many simple PIL tasks can be coded under a minute
once you get the hang of it.

~David