[PD] Getting (not pure) data over the internet

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Mar 24 05:59:07 CET 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:57:56 -0400
Martin Peach <martin.peach at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> > Martin Peach wrote:
> >
> >> Umm, isn't the local port always 80 for http, and the remote and local
> >>

> > no, who told you that?
> > on most operating system you will need special privileges to open a
> > local port below 1024.
> >

> >> port numbers always identical for tcp?
> >>

> > no, who told you that?
> > only the remote (server) port is fixed.
> > the client usually chooses any free port (in the high range).
> >

> Of course you're right. I was looking at the source code for [tcpclient]
> (which is mostly the same as [netclient]) and the only port specified is
> the remote one, which I misunderstood late at night as meaning they were
> the same. There is no way if knowing what the local port is, it seems,
> because it's not important, nobody else can connect to it anyhow, under
> tcp a two-way connection is made, unlike udp. So why does padawan need
> to know it? Maybe he should be using [tcpserver] instead, or udp?

Good question. That's probably my misunderstanding. Whenever I've written
web client code before I've had a handle on all the ports so I assumed I
needed that to get the patch I attached to work.

The patch is something I dug out in response to Starts request for a way
to use Pd to get data from a webserver.

I think if you can get that patch to return a response from google
then everything else should obviously follow. Anybody made it
work yet?

Andy