[PD] oldschool rave synths

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Mar 24 06:54:23 CET 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:55:39 -0700
shift8 <shift8 at digitrash.com> wrote:

> "spore", not "seed" - sry :)
>
> looks like eno's doing a procedural / generative sound track for it!

Yeah I checked that out. It's procedural music, basically what we do
in puredata.

> http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/009261.php
>

> On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 16:49 -0700, shift8 wrote:
> >
> > my interests here are developments like the "Seed" game prototype, the
> > concept of synthesizing *anything* - generic "assemblers", a la the

That's what I really mean by "procedural audio", but with an important
constraint. As opposed to synthetic sound, procedural sound is run real-time
on the client. Synthetic sound *can  be* computed a priori in the studio and recorded.
Spore seemed to be hinting at the former, which get me very excited because it's
exactly my work with physics engine tie in to the sounds, but from what I can
make of their propaganda it isn't actually what they are doing. I hear that EA
are using Puredata now, but still for synthetic sound. I don't actually know
any examples of games working with runtime sound synthesis objects.