[PD] oldschool rave synths

shift8 shift8 at digitrash.com
Wed Mar 28 00:31:17 CEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-24 at 05:54 +0000, padawan12 wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:55:39 -0700
> shift8 <shift8 at digitrash.com> wrote:
>
> > "spore", not "seed" - sry :)
> >
> > looks like eno's doing a procedural / generative sound track for it!
>
> Yeah I checked that out. It's procedural music, basically what we do
> in puredata.

pretty cool!

> > http://www.we-make-money-not-art.com/archives/009261.php
> >

> > On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 16:49 -0700, shift8 wrote:
> > >
> > > my interests here are developments like the "Seed" game prototype, the
> > > concept of synthesizing *anything* - generic "assemblers", a la the
>
> That's what I really mean by "procedural audio", but with an important
> constraint. As opposed to synthetic sound, procedural sound is run real-time
> on the client. Synthetic sound *can  be* computed a priori in the studio and recorded.
> Spore seemed to be hinting at the former, which get me very excited because it's
> exactly my work with physics engine tie in to the sounds, but from what I can
> make of their propaganda it isn't actually what they are doing. I hear that EA
> are using Puredata now, but still for synthetic sound. I don't actually know
> any examples of games working with runtime sound synthesis objects.

got it - i was using the term to mean synthesis on the client... or
something :)  the concept of storing descriptors of sound events in the
game source, and synthesising then on the client.  same for terrain
generation, fractal trees, etc.  those are really exciting to me.

there was a gamasutra article a couple of years or so ago that covers
this a little, though i don't know any actual games that use it ether.

they moved it to a "must be logged in" section for some reason, but it's
a free membership for viewing:

http://www.gamasutra.com/resource_guide/20030528/paul_01.shtml

--
Mechanize something idiosyncratic.