[PD] oldschool rave synths

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 03:56:46 CET 2007

On 3/16/07, padawan12 <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 06:54:40 -0700
> shift8 <shift8 at digitrash.com> wrote:
>
> As Chuckk and some of the other mathematicians have said here, some
> esoteric pure math like operator theory subsumes the whole subject, because

Wait, what?  I wish I was a mathematician.  Do I come across that way?
I don't know what operator theory is, but I guess if it's related to
what I've said about music cognition, then I have some idea.

> sound is about changes and transformations, but I wonder what other peoples
> top 10 'must have' concepts are. I suppose it depends on your goals, for example
> a lot of composers learn a disproportionate amount of stats and distributions.

I'm humbled by those guys.  I borrowed an extra book from my
probability teacher (since probability class at an art school is kind
of tame), hoping to understand Gaussian, Poisson, etc., after seeing
them in the Csound manual, but I'm kind of marooned.
I've actually had some pretty heated (and useless) arguments with
teachers about "form" in music.  I argue that it doesn't exist, e.g.
that the beginning and end don't work the same way and so form is kind
of a misnomer.  You never apprehend the object as a whole, because you
don't know what comes next.  Then again, I just apprehended that
bottle of lager as a whole, so I'm not sure if I'm making much
sense...
Viva la dialectic.

-Chuckk

--