[PD] oldschool rave synths

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Fri Mar 16 22:26:48 CET 2007

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 22:56:46 -0400
"Chuckk Hubbard" <badmuthahubbard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/16/07, padawan12 <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 06:54:40 -0700
> > shift8 <shift8 at digitrash.com> wrote:
> >
> > As Chuckk and some of the other mathematicians have said here, some
> > esoteric pure math like operator theory subsumes the whole subject, because
>
> Wait, what?  I wish I was a mathematician.  Do I come across that way?
> I don't know what operator theory is, but I guess if it's related to
> what I've said about music cognition, then I have some idea.

One k too many, I meant t'other Charlie :) I'm sure C.Henry once said there
was something to be said for looking at operator theory, maybe I totally
misunderstood because thats well beyond me.

> > sound is about changes and transformations, but I wonder what other peoples
> > top 10 'must have' concepts are. I suppose it depends on your goals, for example
> > a lot of composers learn a disproportionate amount of stats and distributions.
>
> I'm humbled by those guys.  I borrowed an extra book from my
> probability teacher (since probability class at an art school is kind
> of tame), hoping to understand Gaussian, Poisson, etc., after seeing
> them in the Csound manual, but I'm kind of marooned.

Can you remember what it was? I say disproportionate, but really from ignorance
of use in composition. For sounds generally they are useful.  The times I've
encountered that theory was with water, where I found bilinear exponential to
be useful, gaussian normal and 1/f for damping effects.

I think there was bit of talk on this list about perlin noise and somebody
mentioned 3D terrain generation, I'm generally interested in that and other
natural distributions that can be used for textutred extents. I think if I
understood more behind the statistical theories I could link them better to
observed physical behaviours. But there's a lot to think about,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probability_distribution

Having the graphs printed on the right is really useful because in stats
talk some familiar curves are called by different names.

Probably half of them are no use for sound applications at all. Poisson
should be useful for rain and breaking glass and quite sparse events I guess.
Also I thought all the tons of stats work that's been done on earthquakes
is probably useful to model any type of frictional excitation generally,
I mean if it works for tectonic plates aren't the same principles there
between a violin bow and a string?

> You never apprehend the object as a whole, because you
> don't know what comes next.  Then again, I just apprehended that
> bottle of lager as a whole, so I'm not sure if I'm making much
> sense...

I think beer is triangular, up to a point everything improves linearly,
then it all turns to bollocks and goes downhill at roughly the same rate:)

peace,
Andy