[PD] [sqosc~]-issues

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Tue Mar 27 01:37:32 CEST 2007

After having done lots of work with recursive feedback structures in PD
using delays and filters, I can positively say that PD (rather then
Jack) is making the problem in every one of my cases. YMMV. But for me,
it always happens when delay lines or resonant filters become feedback
saturated to the point of being pure DC. The offending object must then
be cut and pasted (i.e. reset) to get rid of the "nan" signal, so try
cut/paste rather than restart and see if it helps you next time. I've
always considered this something that is inherent in DSP with no sanity
checks, as PD often is, rather than a bug specific to PD. The CSound
manual mentions this "blowing up" of filters quite frequently, so I know
it happens in other applications.

best,
d.

--