[PD] teaching PD at a distance

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Mon May 14 22:33:48 CEST 2007

Hi,

I have some expierience now with video conferencing for classes, with
both teachers and students online. I would like to share my experiences,
but sinsce we were using mac's ichat and did not vnc a screencapture I
am not sure if that is of interest for you.
we never had more that 4 parties involved, since the core class still
was gathering at one place. students were using a group chat, but the
"teacher" was not actively chatting only sometimes posting a link.
anyway the sound and video quality was quite good...

files (patches) should be prepared online, downloadable and run locally.
I think it is very hard to manage the backflow information, like when
people are patching locally and run into problems. you could use
screenshots for that or a webcam on a cable, but both is only a hack. I
don't know if it is possible to integrate a vnc kind of screen video
into a skype or ichat session, anyway that would be a way to go...

how many people do you want to be in such a remote teaching session?

marius.