[PD] problem installing iem/adaptive library

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu May 17 17:51:36 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 17:17 +0200, tania habib wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have started working with PD few weeks ago and I find it very useful
> for my work, but I am facing some problems in trying to load some
> libraries into PD. I want to add the Adaptive Filter library written
> by Markus Noisternig and Thomas Musil. I am working on Mac osx.
> Please help me out with this problem
>
> regards,
> tania

hello tania

i don't know, what is the proper way of installing externals on os x (if
there is one). but i try anyway

there are basically two things to consider:

a) you need to tell pd, where it should look for externals

b) you need to tell pd, which externals should be loaded on startup.

in newer versions of pd, both can be done trough the menu (i don't
recall the exact menu tree for pd on osx):

pd-<version> -> Preferences -> Path:
here you can add the path to your external

pd-<version> -> Preferences -> Startup:
here you can add the name of your external. on osx, the external would
be a file called 'external.pd_darwin', but in the startup fields you
only write 'external' withouth the file extension .pd_darwin.

after entering, click 'save all settings' and 'apply'.

then you should be able to instantiate objects from the new external.

roman