[PD] demo: pd - bluetooth - mobile phone

Koray Tahiroglu ktahirog at uiah.fi
Wed May 23 09:33:50 CEST 2007

Hello Erich, Andy

just an example for a project possibilities,
for the Arts Birthday 2006 January gig in Helsinki I made a system
with PD-Python where audience could be able to send a message to a N
series Nokia mobile phone ( that runs Python) and the system could
read the sms inbox of the phone through bluetooth- Python then sonify
those text messages in PD. Audience sms messages were controlling two
instruments while i was playing live, so the gig turned into a jam
session- improvising together:) It was lots of fun, cos I was
screening those messages to the wall as well :)
some archive links for this
http://mlab.uiah.fi/noisecity/calltext/
http://mlab.uiah.fi/~korayt/callnoise/callDarkNoise.mp3  (31.6 mb)
http://mlab.uiah.fi/~korayt/callnoise/11.mov ( 406mb )

still I cant get any mails from the list, so i am replying through
archive.

Koray.

---------------------
http://randomseed.org

On Tue, 22 May 2007, Andy Farnell wrote:

 > Thanks Erich, this is informative , seems you've
 > unleashed a very enabling interface. I cc the list
 > to share your thoughts.
 >
 >> an orchestra of mobile phones controlled by a pd patch
 >> ... you name it
 >
 > Straight from my worst nightmares :)
 >
 >> is to use http sockets on the phone
 >> for data exchange between a microcontroller (connected
 >> via BT to the phone) and the internet.
 >
 > Awesome possibilities.
 >
 > Thanks again,
 >
 > Andy
 >

 > On Mon, 21 May 2007 11:16:20 +0200 (CEST)
 > Erich Berger <eb at randomseed.org> wrote:
 >
 >> hi andy,
 >>
 >> with python for S60 you have basically full control
 >> over the functions of the phone.
 >> audio, midi, speech, camera, sms, database, sockets (bluetooth,
http),
 >> etc,
 >> http://wiki.opensource.nokia.com/projects/Python_for_S60
 >>
 >> i also have no application using it in combination with pd
 >> but i m sure the knowledge of possibility comes in handy for
 >> specific situations. you could:
 >> - send an sms via pd
 >> - upload/download data to the net if u have no wlan
 >> - do something specific when you receive an sms
 >> - have mobile phones playing along with your patch
 >> - an orchestra of mobile phones controlled by a pd patch
 >> ... you name it
 >>
 >> one of the most interesting things for me
 >> at the moment is and that has nothing to do with pd
 >> (but could ..) is to use http sockets on the phone
 >> for data exchange between a microcontroller (connected
 >> via BT to the phone) and the internet. as you are
 >> independend of wlan and the phone network coverage
 >> is meanwhile so well you have a very good base
 >> technology for mobile artworks.
 >> i use for this one:
 >> http://www.realitydisfunction.org/heartdonor/
 >>
 >> best
 >>
 >> erich
 >>
 >> ps: sorry - went slightly off topic
 >>

 >> ---------------------
 >> http://randomseed.org
 >>
 >> On Mon, 21 May 2007, Andy Farnell wrote:
 >>

 >>> Nice one Erich,
 >>>
 >>> Can you give some examples/applications of what you might
 >>> be able to do with this. How much hackability has Symbian
 >>> got through bluetooth using this?
 >>>
 >>> Cheers
 >>>
 >>> Andy

 >>> --
 >>> Use the source
 >>>

 > --
 > Use the source

M.Koray Tahiroglu
Media Lab,UIAH
http://mlab.uiah.fi/~korayt/
tel: +358 50 939 02 33 ( in Finland only)
tel: +90 533 712 8245