[PD] Textfile - playlist

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Jun 9 11:37:30 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Thomas Mayer hat gesagt: // Thomas Mayer wrote:

> is there a way to load the contents of a textfile into something similar
> to a [float] and a way to put it out line by line.
>
> so loading a file with the contents of
>
> abc
> defadf
> ohekd
>
> should give [abc( at the first [bang(, [defadf( at the second, [ohekd(
> at the third, and nothing on the fourth.
>
> I guess that could be done with the [textfile] object,

What you describe is exactly what [textfile] does: You load a file,
send a "rewind" message to start at the beginning, then on every bang
you get the next line out the first outlet, until the end of file,
when the second outlet indicates the end with a bang. It's also all in
the help-patch for [textfile].

> but that's about the end of my knowledge. I haven't done anything
> with [list] objects, especially I have no idea how to convert a list
> to symbol and vice versa.

Why do you want to convert between list and symbols anyway?

For a dynamically changing list of lists you could also take a look at
the (new) [list-fifo] and [list-lifo] abstractions in the [list]-abs
collection. Their help-file should fully explain how they work, if not
I'd be happy to explain them further.

Ciao