[PD] pd and jack, informal survey

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Mon Jun 11 11:03:59 CEST 2007

Just chiming in that PD is fairly useless for me on OS X without Jack.
My patches tend towards complex granulation, and it gets pretty glitchy.
Or at least they did the last time I checked maybe a year and a half
ago. My last year has been 90% performing and 10% programming (as
opposed to previous years where the equation might have been reversed).
So when you've got a good thing goin' on, why go messing around with it?

BTW, I have gotten QJackctl to compile and run with X11 on OS X. It's
not that difficult really, except that you can't use it to start Jack,
only to do the routing. But for routing it's much easier. My current
work uses PD, Jack and SooperLooper all tied together, and manually
clicking all the connections before each gig is a real pain. What I
would *really* like for christmas is a command line function like
aconnect (Linux/ALSA command) so I could script my startup on OS X the
same way I do already on Linux. It shaves several tedious minutes of
click-click-click off my setup time.

But that said, when I want to do *serious* PD work, I do it on Linux
anyway, where I get almost double the power from the same machine as
with OS X.

best,
d.

Kyle Klipowicz wrote:
> I run OS X 10.4.9 on a G4 PowerBook. Pd without Jack tends to get a
> periodic glitch whenever I am doing things like FM synthesis or other
> sorts of DSP. If I am just playing back samples using readsf~, it's
> OK. Otherwise, JackPilot to the rescue!
>
> On a side note, the routing within the OS X Jack client is a bit
> confusing at times. Wouldn't it be cool if the Jack routing matrix was
> written in Pd?
>
> ~Kyle
>
> On 6/9/07, James <everamzah at gmail.com> wrote:
>> i'd like to take an informal survey. is it true that you can do no serious
>> work with puredata using the jack audio server for linux and mac os x?
>>
>> thoughts? experiences?
>>
>> tia
>>
>> --
>> james/everamzah

derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista
---Oblique Strategy # 147:
"State the problem as clearly as possible"