[PD] dumpOSC feature request

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jun 18 14:11:53 CEST 2007

Richard Lewis wrote:
> Hello PD list,
>
> Further to that response I gave about problems with OSC.
>
> I'd like to make a feature request/bug report: when you try to create a
> dumpOSC object using a port which is already in use, PD acts as if the object
> cannot be created - it renders the box with a dashed outline and reports the
> error "...couldn't create". This is actually very confusing as the user then
> assumes that PD can't find the object code and tries to solve the problem by
> checking library paths etc.
>
> A better way of handling this error would be if the dumpOSC object, upon
> finding that it can't attach to a port, sends an error message to that effect
> to the PD console.
>
> Any thoughts?

no thoughts, just remarks:
[dumpOSC] behaves the same as [netreceive], so the behaviour is
consistant (though annoying) with pd's default behaviour for many a year.
then, doesn't [dumpOSC] write something to the PD console before it
fails to create? (like: port already in use).

then, i found [dumpOSC] to be buggy anyhow, and suggest using mrpeach's
osc/net externals for the same purpose (you can easily create [dumpOSC]
as an abstraction that is 100% compatible, but has less errors and the
underlying code is still maintained).

finally, it would be good to have a way to get notified (on a patch
level, not just the console output) of objects that failed to create.

mfga.
IOhannes