[PD] Extracting textfile columns for audio

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Jun 22 14:10:45 CEST 2007

hi toby

since [textfile] doesn't provide any mechanism to jump to a certain
line, you need to step through all lines from the beginning. this
conflicts with your intention to only read certain lines out, not all of
them. you could solve this conflict by appending a [spigot] object to
[textfile]. [spigot] lets you choose, if messages should get passed or
not, by sending to its right inlet '1' or '0'. a solution would be to
set [spigot] to '0' until [textfile] reaches the line you want. then you
could set [spigot] to '1', so that the output of [textfile] is sent to
the array.

if you are on pd-extended or you have the zexy external installed, then
you could also use [msgfile] (on pd-extended you may need to create a
[import zexy] first). it works similar to [textfile], but provides more
'commands'. you could send it a  'goto 2' message in order to set the
read pointer to line 2. sending it a 'bang' now, will let it output line
2.

roman