[PD] pd-extended 39-2 rc3 spectral crash

Kevin McCoy km.takewithyou at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 20:13:50 CEST 2007

Hans, list,

I was thrilled to hear that delay objects and sqrt~ objects were fixed
for rc3.  While it seems the delay objects are fine, when I am doing
my spectral/vocoding work, pd will freeze and lock up my whole machine
- I don't hear the cpu go up or anything, everything just stops
responding entirely.  My only choice is to restart.  I am using the
rc3 for Ubuntu Edgy, I think, on Ubuntu Studio Feisty 7.04

I am having a hard time narrowing it down to a specific object/issue.
I have attached my specgate~ gop which causes the crash every time
within about 10 seconds.  Could other linux or pd-ext users please
test this?  I can't get any crash logs it seems because the whole
computer locks up and becomes unresponsive - a rather nasty bug.  I
don't see anything in the terminal even with -verbose.

It shouldn't be with the gui objects because i have many others that
work totally fine.  My vocoding abstraction produces the same lock-up,
but not as quickly it seems.  So I suspect it is either with vectral~
(from cyclone) or the q8_sqrt~ object.  I cannot be sure though
because most of the time it crashes before I can change anything.  I
am not so proficient at text editing pd patches :)

I am still relatively new to linux so if anyone knows a way to reclaim
the machine when X stops responding and won't let you switch to other
terminals or ctrl-alt-backspace, let me know.  Maybe I could get some
better info then and save myself a couple minutes from having to
restart.

Kevin

--

++++