[PD] (no subject)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Jun 29 23:04:13 CEST 2007

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> "Standard library" is normally meant to be that library that is always
> installed with pd.

I mean, "Standard library" is not a term normally in use in the pd world,
but transposing the meaning from Perl, Python, Ruby, etc., the standard
library is what is bundled and is pretty much guaranteed to be bundled all
of the time.

For the C language, libc.so is called like that, together with libm.so and
sometimes a few other more, but it's nothing remotely like "the set of all
publicly contributed C libraries ever written".

Likewise CPAN is not Perl's standard library; Perl's standard library is
the set of *.pm and *.so files that are part of the Perl package itself.
This may include what is in libperl.so itself or not, depending on
definitions.

The situation for other languages is quite closely the same.