[PD] [ot][hardware] mini-itx

David Merrill dmerrill at media.mit.edu
Sat Jun 30 14:40:09 CEST 2007

Hi Derek -
Some colleagues and I have built up a system that we call "Audiopint" that's
just like what you have in mind. You can see what decisions we made about
hardware, and more at:
http://audiopint.org/

Our systems boot a stripped-down Ubuntu from a USB pen drive, and they boot
completely into PD so there is no requirement for a keyboard, mouse, etc.
The thing to note about the audio was that we ended up getting better
latency and sound quality (lower noise floor) by using a relatively
inexpensive USB audio device rather than the mini-itx board's built-in
audio. In my current system I actually have disabled the on-board audio. Let
me know if you'd like to know about other aspects of the what/why for out
setup..
best,
-David Merrill

On 6/30/07, Derek Holzer <derek at umatic.nl> wrote:

> I'm currently shopping around for a small motherboard that I can put in
> a "headless" (no screen, mouse, keyboard) box as a laptop replacement
> for live performance. There's quite a few different processors to choose
> from on the Mini-ITX site, but I wonder if anyone has any experience
> using them for audio?
>
> Of course there's Intel Pentium M and Core, Core Duo and Celeron
> processors, as well as various VIA and Nehemiah CPUs.
>
> Any recommendable? Any to avoid? The system will be harddrive-less
> (Linux OS on CF card), so if anyone has any suggestions please let me
> know.
>
> best,
> derek
>
> --