[PD] External with inline code snippet

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Sun Jul 1 05:58:09 CEST 2007

On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 05:07:11PM -0300, Carlos Pita wrote:
> 1) reassemble the code from atoms.

This one excites me the most because it's so lightweight and Pd-like.
It's would probably be easy to build on Larry's work that Frank posted,
integrating SIOD and make it reconsistute the atoms to pass to SIOD for
compilation.

> 2) provide a object with a gui specialized for code edition.
>
> I think 2, although a bit laborious, fit best to the goal of code edition.
> We could treat code as a single string, instead of dealing with symbols, and
> we could even (this is wishful thinking) provide some syntax highlighting
> and formatting. I'm pretty new to pd but I guess I could take g_bang.c and
> friends as examples to start working with.

If you are going to go this way, why not make a generic code editing
object that can be used for the other embedded languages too? That way
you could use the one external for Python, Ruby, Scheme, C or whatever
takes your fancy.

Best,

Chris.