[PD] [PD-announce] the end of type restrictions

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jul 23 08:01:58 CEST 2007

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Maybe the Max/MSP reference manual, page 656? Quoting:
>[...]
>  type of number, converting the input items as necessary). If no
>  argument is typed in, unpack will have two int outlets. Symbol
>  arguments allow symbols to pass through, and change numbers to the
>  empty symbol ("").

pd's [unpack] does not convert. it says "type mismatch".

I think that in retrospect, the type declaration could be much more useful
if it actually caused conversion, but turning any number to the empty
symbol is certainly not conversion.

> Yes, I know: Pd is not Max and Pd doesn't differentiate ints and floats
> (here)

Just suppose no "i" is used in Max's [unpack] and no int is passed to it;
and suppose no "p" is used in Pd's [unpack] and no pointer is passed to
it; then the essential differences of both [unpack]s should become most
obvious.