[PD] GEM pix_buffer

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Mon Jul 23 20:43:07 CEST 2007

Hi Chris,

chris clepper wrote:

> Yes.  Reading and writing a pix_buffer is at most a memory copy operation.

Great! That's what I thought.

> On OSX you can load a compressed video file into RAM using the 'ram'
> message.  This will use less memory than pix_buffer but still use CPU
> for decoding the video.

That's the problem... we're long on memory and short on CPU with the
patch I'm working on. I hoped I could use [pix_buffer] to get some of
that CPU back at the expense of a lot of RAM...

Besides, I couldn't preload *all* my clips with the 'ram' message
anyways. Only the one I'm currently playing. My patch has 48 clips which
will be addressed by three different players, so a way of storing all
the vids ahead of time is required to avoid lagtime starting the video
when it's requested.

thx+best,
d.

--