[PD] pd running fine, then unexpectedly freezing on ubuntu

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Jul 26 18:50:59 CEST 2007

On Jul 25, 2007, at 4:51 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> Which version?  I just installed Ubuntu Studio, and have played
>> with Pd only a bit so far.  I definitely haven't seen anything
>> like that.  If the whole thing is freezing, then it's very
>> unlikely to Pd's fault, since the OS will prevent programs that
>> kind of access.
>
> Not true... I got sudden freezes (presumably kernel panics, but
> could not see any error messages) while just trying out GEM's DV
> camera support code transplanted into GF. I wasn't in suid root not
> root login, just plain user. That was in 2006 with some distro
> dated >= 2004. This is just an anecdote, but this isn't something
> so unlikely, because it was a usual kernel of a usual distro.

In any decent operating system, the programs are prevented from
accessing parts that would cause deadlocks, kernel panics, etc.  Pd's
code is not causing these problems.  Pd uses code, for example the DV/
firewire driver, which then causes the kernel panic.

.hc

> | Mathieu Bouchard - tél:+1.514.383.3801, Montréal QC Canada

----

All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies,
one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better
language; and every chapter must be so translated.... -John Donne