[PD] small(est) hardware solution(s)

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Fri Jul 27 00:50:57 CEST 2007

How much memory/time do you need to record? The smallest/cheapest
solutions don't require a computer at all. There are ISD voice recorder
chips capable of recording messages up to 60 seconds at 8 Khz sampling
rate. You can also record several different messages with a total time
of 60 secs, which can be addressed via the controller pins of the chip.
If you get the SMD version of this chip, it is only several mm across
(but a PITA to solder!).

They run from $5 (cheap, on EBay sometimes even cheaper) to about $25
(new, retail) per chip and depending on which version you use require
very few external components and depending on the application may or may
not need a microcontroller. There are simple plans for using them like a
guitar loop pedal all over the internet already, as well as quite a few
documented schematics for different applications.

I used a pile of them for some sound sculptures, documented on the last
couple posts on my blog:

http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista

best,
d.