[PD] SMP Questions

Tim Blechmann tim at klingt.org
Tue Aug 21 19:25:27 CEST 2007

> Anyone know if PD is aided by SMP?

basically no ...

> I'm throwing together a new box in which I will install UbuntuStudio
> with the intention of using it as a live processing rig for live
> performance using PD.  I'm interested in discovering whether it makes
> more sense to get a Core 2 Quad processor that runs with a bus speed
> of 1066 or a Core 2 Duo processor that runs with a bus speed of 1333.

to make use of a multicore machine the only way to utilize all cores is
to run several instances of pd, that are connected via jackdmp.

> Also, any thoughts on how ram speed plays into this equation?

that depends on your synthesis algorithms ... if you do lots of
table-based synthesis (sampling, delays), ram speed does matter ... for
pure synthesis applications, the code doesn't require so many memory
transactions, an the used memory chunks are likely to fit into the cpu
caches ...

hth, tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://tim.klingt.org

Nothing exists until or unless it is observed. An artist is making
something exist by observing it. And his hope for other people is that
they will also make it exist by observing it. I call it 'creative
observation.' Creative viewing.
  William S. Burroughs