[PD] difference send and using msg with ";"

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Aug 23 01:57:47 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Robert Scott hat gesagt: // Robert Scott wrote:

> So following this pattern, will 0.42 be a compatibility-breaking redesign
> replacing insane messages with LISP-like lists of lists and atoms?

I think, with the introduction of the [list] object family, many more
LISP-like list operations became possible with standard Pd objects. Of
course Pd is not lisp, and I doubt, it will ever be one.

If you need a more structured container for data items, the data
structures of Pd are immensly useful IMO. You can ignore all the
drawing stuff easily and just use them as general purpose containers.
While messages are kind of volatile "things" that are basically gone,
once you've received them (unless you store them one by one into an
object like [list]), data structures also have a more permanent
character. If you modify a data item through a pointer, the modified
version will be available for future use. This makes applications like
the Turing machine I once posted, cellular automata, L-Systems and
other grammars etc. very elegant to implement.

Ciao