[PD] camera angle

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Nov 15 01:44:53 CET 2007

hi raphaël

i admit, this is not very obvious and it took me some time as well to
figure it out, but the solution you are looking for is the 'perspec'
method of [gemwin].

the default values are 'perspec -1 1 -1 1 1 20', where the first to
numbers set the hoizontal visible limits/angles for left and right and
the following two numbers the vertical limit (top and bottom). you can
use these to compensate the distortion, that is introduced, when
displaying with non-square pixels, e.g when you use fullscreen mode with
640x480 resolution on a screen with an aspect ratio of 16:10 (to
compensate that you would use 'perspec -1.2 1.2 -1 1 1 20').

now the interesting part is, when you scale all four values by the same
amount, you can change the focal distance of your camera:

'perspec -0.5 0.5 -0.5 0.5 1 20'

gives you a more tele-ish look. this is probably what you are looking
for. the smaller numbers you choose, the bigger gets the focal distance
of the camera.

the default scale '1' looks already like a fisheye to me, though it
makes kind of sense to cover a wide angle on the window in order to make
orientation easier.

roman