[PD] [print] and float arguments

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Nov 20 21:21:40 CET 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2007, at 12:16 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> Is there any particular reason why [print] does not accept float
>>> arguments?  I think I want to add them.
>> probably for a similar reason like why [send] does not accept float
>> arguments?
>>
>> (this is of course not true; [send] requires "binding" to a label,
>> and numbers (A_FLOAT) do not provide a mechanism to do so, whereas
>> symbols do)
>
> I don't understand your point.  Basically what I am asking is, would
> anyone object to adding the ability to handle float args to [print]?

which point?
i just tried to give an explanation why things are as they are.
not an excuse.
and i also mentioned that my explanation is most likely wrong as it
draws parallels where there really are none.

i principally don't object to [print] accepting number arguments, rather
i'd favour it.
(but don't want yet another patch that breaks compatibility with
pd-vanilla; so it's just a matter whether miller has some objections -
after all, why does it not accept floats in the first place?)

fgmadsr.
IOhannes