[PD] select issues

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Nov 29 22:35:44 CET 2007

Hallo,

> Hmm, I suppose it should pass thru every thing unmodified on the
> right outlet.  Can anyone think of any problems or disadvantages of
> [select] just outputting the unmatched input intact on the right outlet?

Yes, I can!

[select] like many objects distributes incoming messages over its
inlets, so passing lists unchanged to the right outlet may let all
hell break loose with old patches.

Example:

  [5 5(

  [select]
  |     |
  |     [print MISS]

  [print HIT]

will *always* print HIT because the second "5" in the list will first
set the value, that [select] selects, the left "5" then will trigger a
hit. A message "1 2" however will always pass the 1 to the MISS
outlet, after the 2 in the list has set the select-target.

Ciao