[PD] Max & Pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Dec 6 20:58:33 CET 2007

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, vade wrote:

> well, FYI in Jitter you do [jit.someobject @color r g b a] (for
> example), or can use a message named color. Ive never seen or used
> [jit.someobject @red r @green g @blue b @alpha a]

I forgot to say that it applies only to some of the classes in Jitter.

For example:

   http://cycling74.com/documentation/jit.eclipse

I haven't looked at how many classes do it like that for the colours, but
also some classes treat x and y axes as separate attributes instead of
together, for example.

> I quite like the attribute system jitter has, and think it could be imported
> with some sort of syntax highlighting for objects where attribute names are
> one color and their set values another.

So far I'm ok with the attribute system of GridFlow; Flext users seem ok
with the attribute system of Flext; and the syntax is already mostly
enough: the comma of GridFlow and the at-sign of Flext are distinctive
enough. Colouring is not much of an addition because the text-based syntax
of pd/max is too simple for that. (pd/max's syntax is more patch-based
than text-based).

> It would (may?) help visually grokking the text within the patcher object

"grok" should be reserved for what it originally meant, which is more
intense than "understanding how it works", let alone "being able to parse
the text". I'd love it if just the colours were enough to communicate the
totality of the meaning of pd :} but it's not going to happen.