[PD] [psql] object hand-holding

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Mon Dec 10 12:47:19 CET 2007

Mike McGonagle schrieb:

> On 12/9/07, *Thomas Grill* <gr at grrrr.org <mailto:gr at grrrr.org>> wrote:
>
>     Mike McGonagle schrieb:
>     I know and it has been on my todo list for a long time. The point is
>     that it hasn't made it to the top of this list since i don't need it.
>     On the other hand it doesn't seem so important in general that any
>     other
>     person has cared to do it although i consider it a trivial task and i
>     offered my support for any questions that might arise.
>

> Well, this is not something that is within reach of many people. We
> need to understand not just PD's internals, but how flext uses them,
> and we also need to know how to integrate these things with the
> extended nightly builds. Not quite certain how many people know ALL of
> these things. Probably only a handful, and it would appear that none
> of them are interested in getting flext working.

It's not like that. It's certainly not a precondition to understand the
inner workings of pd, flext or the operating system to compile an external.
Integrating flext or anything else into the pd-extended build system,
needs knowledge of the pd-extended build system and not much more. It's
absolutely not necessary to understand flext to do this integration. I
don't have sufficient knowledge of the pd-extended build system and i'm
not going to spend time on dealing with it, but whoever is interested in
the integration can dive into it, write the necessary make files (i
could even provide skeletons for this) and stuff it into the build
system in the usual free-style manner.

> I also downloaded the latest version of flext, and will try again to
> see if I can get this working. That being said, if we do go the route
> of using flext, then we should decide now if we should continue
> developing an SQL interface, or just use 'pool'.

I would be very interested what exactly isn't working with flext for
you. I just sshd into linux, checked out flext, pool and pd from cvs and
compiled flext and pool without a single warning.
I did exactly as described in the readme.txt files and it took about 2
minutes.
I have heard "it doesn't work" many many times, but it's completely
non-constructive to say that without saying why or what.

gr~~~