[PD] [psql] object hand-holding

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Dec 10 16:32:52 CET 2007

On Dec 9, 2007, at 9:41 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Dec 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> I'm not a big fan of [expr]'s syntax since it is custom syntax
>> that is not used anywhere else in Pd.
>
> A precedent has to start somewhere :)
>
> I believe that the goal is to make an interface that is effortless
> to use rather than try to be more dataflowish than the pope. The
> goal is not to pass more messages and use more objects and
> connections just to show off what's the concept of dataflow and how
> deeply pd follows it. The goal is still to make patches work with
> as little effort as possible.
>
> I also believe that there are plenty of pd classes that have at
> least one element of syntax that is not used anywhere else in pd.
> It also depends on how you look at pd: are two occurrences in two
> very related classes, counting as one occurrence, or as two? and
> why would it be counted that way?

Too often "reducing effort" is equated with typing shortcuts and
things along that line.  I think putting everything into the [psql]
object box is version of this.  Things are a bigger concerns in the
push to reduce effort are:

- reducing bugs!
- reducing time spent learning new objects
- reducing time spent remembering how to use objects
- making flexible programming easier rather than basic programming
faster

.hc

----