[PD] [psql] object hand-holding

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Tue Dec 11 10:15:22 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 15:00 -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Jamie Bullock wrote:
>
> > Fair enough, I think I was probably stretching the point about using the
> > [psql]-style of database connectivity requiring less objects.
> > However, it's perfectly possible to have multiple [psql] instances
> > connected to the same database, so the routing problem is a bit of a
> > moot point.
>
> But it requires multiple logins, perhaps many at once, which might be
> wasteful.

Not especially.

>  For sharing database connections between several [psql]
> objects, what do you think would be the best ways to do it? This is
> supposing that several different database connections can still be
> used at once, as specified in the patches.

I think this is a less trivial problem than it might appear. Having a
global pointer representing the database connection seems dangerous and
a bit naive. Perhaps some kind of callback-based mechanism between the
database connection 'server' object and the 'client' query objects would
be the way to go.

Jamie

--
www.postlude.co.uk